The information in this article and on this site is for casual educational purposes, and is not meant to replace the advice of a licensed physician or a Medical Doctor. Use this just as an informal source for finding out what others do. Before trying any of the suggestions, consult with your own physician to get proper treatment.
IMPORTANT NOTE: I have bought the book (The Four Hour Body) by Tim Ferriss, and have taken some notes from the Doctor OZ show that Tim came on and made the recommendations. I follow some of them and they seem to help me, your mileage might vary.
1. The 5 -minute deep freeze to kick start the metabolism in the morning
Take a cold shower for 5-30 minutes (Will jump start your metabolism) Apparently the cold activates brown fat, which burns the fat to keep you warm. I am more tolerant to cold on my back, arms and legs, so I start out with my back to the cold water.
When taking a cold shower, some shivering indicates that you’re using energy to keep your body temperature up. Try taking a quick shower in the morning or night. Start with 2 minutes of warm water, shampoo the head, and then switch to cold and work toward keeping the water temperature under 60 degrees. You’ll get used to it and feel rejuvenated and very warm out of the shower.
2. Supercharging your mood
- Enjoy some kimchi (kim chi), which is Korean pickled cabbage every day. (I Can’t do this, I guess it’s an acquired taste, it is rotten cabbage to me)
- I eat pickles, usually the pickled turnips (Pink) you can find it in Mediterranean stores or make your own (Recipe). It may also provide some defense from the Flu also? (Read more and decide for yourself)
- Will help with Gut Flora. According to Ferriss, 90% of the body’s serotonin is produced in the gut (Scientists refer to this as our “Second Brain”)
- Probiotic bacteria are the transportation devices to move serotonin to the brain
- Tim’s recommendation: Eat 4-5 tablespoons of kimchi (In my case, Pickles) or any lacto-fermented food such as sauerkraut or plain yogurt daily to chase the blues away.
3. Fixing sleeping issues to feel great
Although I don’t have a problem sleeping, but Tim’s recommendation was that if you take 2 tablespoons of Almond Butter (BTW, expensive, but so is your time), before sleeping, your body will regulate the sugar burn overnight so instead of 8 hours you can sleep 6, or maybe even 4. So you would
- Just before bed, eat 2 tablespoons almond butter (I just eat a handful of raw almonds, no salt)
Tim Ferriss believes that one of the biggest culprits for walking up during the night is low blood sugar. So almond butter before bed should help. The low-glycemic index food can prevent blood sugar spikes so you can sleep better. According to Ferriss, correcting your blood sugar level can actually make you feel as if you’re doubling up on the sleep you’re actually getting – 4 hours can feel like 8, 6 like 12, etc.
- Power Sleep position (This doesn’t work 100% for me, I find that I have moved during the night)
Lie down on your chest with your head on a pillow, turned to the right. Place both arms straight by your sides, palms up. Then bring your right arm up until the top of your right elbow is bent 90 degrees and your hand is close to your head. Then bring your right knee out to the side until it is bent at approximately 90 degrees.By keeping both your arm and leg at 90 degrees you’ll distribute your weight more evenly so that you’re not putting any pressure on your shoulder or on your hip. This position mimics a swaddled baby, which means you’ll move and fidget less and enjoy a deeper, uninterrupted sleep.
4. Reshape Your Body: 3 Things You MUST Do Within 30 Minutes of Waking Up
Tim Ferriss’ 30/30 rule – consuming 30 grams of protein within the first 30 minutes of waking up in the morning – has already helped transform women’s bodies across the country. Now, he has 3 new rules to help you reshape your body by barely doing anything at all. However, you must also do these within 30 minutes of waking up.
- Use an All-Fat Creamer in Your Coffee
Millions of women think they’re doing the right thing by using skim milk or fat-free creamer in their coffee, but these dairy products can actually cause weight gain by spiking insulin. Go for full-fat cream instead since dairy fat contains CLA-conjugated linoleic acid, which has been linked to a decrease in stored body fat.Tim Ferriss has seen women lose 2-4 pounds a week by making this small change, which also helps prevent afternoon energy dips. Put 2 tablespoons of all-fat cream in your coffee and you’ll actually lower your chance of gaining weight over the course of the year.
- Drink a Fat-flushing Tea: Yerba Mate
Popular in South America, yerba mate tea is chockfull of antioxidants and vitamins, and acts through 2 mechanisms to help you lose fat. The first speeds your digestion for the entire day – drink Yerba mate in the morning instead of coffee. Second, it actually reduces fat absorption by decreasing the pancreatic lipase enzyme. Additionally, yerba mate does not produce the caffeine-related crashes that some people experience with coffee and can give you 3-4 hours of very stable, clean energy.
- Cassia Cinnamon Cheat
Cinnamon helps keep blood sugars in check, which helps control weight gain. Both Cassia and Ceylon cinnamon help regulate glucose levels, but some studies show that Cassia does it better.To determine the difference between these types of cinnamon, Ceylon sticks roll up from both sides like a scroll. Cassia looks more like bark and will often roll up from one side like a cigar. Use Cassia cinnamon in your coffee or even sprinkle it on a bowl of oatmeal or cottage cheese. Cassia cinnamon, it turns out, is the type you find in most coffee shops. Look for it at grocery stores for about $5. If unavailable, look for it at specialty food stores.